Thursday, December 4, 2008

Nagara - while verb in Japanese Grammar


This article's Japanese grammar construction uses the Japanese word 'nagara'
Verb (Base II) + nagara - to do while 'verb'ing.


With this grammar construction, both past tense and present tense expressions are allowable. After reading the following examples, plug in your favorite Japanese verbs and, play! Plugging and playing in this way makes learning Japanese fun!

Example.1. sara o arainagara, kuchibue o fuku. - While doing the dishes, I whistle.
Example 2. enka o kikinagara, sake o nomu - While listening to an enka drink sake.

Japanese Grammar Formulation Breakdown

1. Put verb in base II
a. The verb arau (v. to wash) in + direct object sara (n. dishes) is sara o arau - to do the dishes.
b. arau in base II becomes arai.


2. Fuse arai and nagara to make arainagara, or the phrase while washing...


Past tense, non-polite (familiar), plain-form ending

sara o arainagara kuchibue of fuita. I whistled while doing the dishes.


Past tense, polite ending -

sara o arainagara, kuchibue of fukimashita. – (While doing the dishes, I whistled.)


Past tense, non-polite (familiar), plain-form ending -

enka o kikinagara, sake o nonda (While listening to enka, I drank Sake)

Past tense, polite ending -
enka o kikinagara, sake o nomimashita.( While listening to enka, I drank Sake)


Past tense, non-polite (familiar), plain-form ending

kuruma o unten shinagara, tomodachi to hanshi o shita. (While driving my car, I spoke with my friend.)


Past tense, polite ending -

kuruma o unten shinagara, tomodachi to hanshi o shimashita

Ganbatte Ne!
Do your best!
Makurasuki


More Japanese grammar at

Japanetics - Japanese Language Learning on Steroids
http://japanetics.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think your sentence are translated incorrectly. さらをあらいながら、くちぶえをふいた。Translates to "I wash the dishes while whistling" which sound weird. The main verb is the last verb.